Saturday, August 19, 2006

Windows


Windows
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
If you want a detail that says “unfinished model”, try leaving windows unglazed. Even though we are talking about a transparent substance, its absence marks a model down, at least in my eyes.

The Merchant Navy locomotive is nearing completion (I screwed it together properly today) and one of the jobs I had promised to do was fill in the windows.

While I could spend hours cutting out clear bits of plastic or glass, I have got better things to do. The results, when I do it anyway, always look hopeless. The glazing never fits properly and whatever glue I use is always visible at the edges. The first time the model is handled they all get pushed in anyway.

So I cheat and use Krystal Klear. Applied with screwdrivers, a skin is formed in the opening with the liquid (a high quality PVA) and then the model is left to dry with the window as horizontal as possible. Anything else gives a thicker pane at the bottom than the top.

Of course it does dry transparent, slightly flexible and quite reflective – as you can tell from my photo !

No comments: