Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Stand by your boat


Boat stand
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
OK, my last post wasn’t really accurate. Before you start drilling holes in the hull of a new model boat, you are supposed to make a stand for it. This stops it wobbling around and makes fitting out so much easier.

My Dad makes the boat stands. He fiddles around with card templates and then, in this case thin MDF found in the garage, to produce a nice support for my model.

I might try and argue that you can’t finish the stand until the propeller tube is in place because this will affect the shape of the cut-out but the instructions neglect to mention this.

Anyway, the boat in the air and stable you can see the prop tube in all it’s glory. Once I had tacked it into place with superglue, loads of car filler was gobbed around to restore water-tightness. This was a real mess but once dry a big file and some emery paper made for a nice neat job. And a load of dust.

No comments: