Sunday, August 27, 2006

As one box closes, another box opens


Misty Part 1
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Time for another project. I know I have several on the go at present but this is a hobby and so I get to work on the things I like when I like and if you have any complaints about this I’ll see you outside. You have to let things dry and the only way I can do this at times is to go away and do something else. Manys the model I have made a less than perfect job of because I wouldn’t leave it alone to dry.

Anyway, the new entry onto the workbench is a George Turner Models launch. In theory this is a quick kit to build thanks to the construction being a series of vac-formed mouldings. Many model boat kits are like this, which means I have had to deal with a plastic kit format not seen in the model railway world.

The resulting model boat ought to be a very pleasant size to take to the lake. At a eighteen inches long I can tuck it under my arm but it is large enough to look sensible on the water. How builders of huge boats manage with their monsters is beyond me. Pigeon Pie is quite big enough and the magazines describe it as a “small boat”. This must make my new model a miniature !

First job on any boat (OK, boat kit with a plastic or GRP tub) is to take the nice waterproof hull and drill holes in it. Obviously this isn’t a good thing for its buoyancy so these have to be plugged with a drive shaft and rudder tube.

Lining up the drive shaft and motor was fun. I glued the shaft in, first with superglue and then with car body filler. The motor was then attached with a bit of plastic tube drilled to take propshaft and motor shaft. This placed the motor (in its mounting cradle) in the right position. Gobs of car filler then fixed this.

Then I left it alone to dry.

No comments: