Sunday, July 23, 2006

Underneath the tender


Underneath the tender
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Fitting the chassis to the tender body was always going to be an interesting task. Unlike most models, the tender is going to be carrying the fuel – in this case the batteries. I need as much space as possible to fit these in, which means not much in the bottom to get in the way.

Of course I still need to fix the chassis in place. Normally I use bolts but only one was in with the kit for this task. Possibly a mix up in the packing but in this case it’s forced me to be inventive and come up with a “clever” solution.

One end is screwed in place conventionally. The other tucks into a pocket behind the buffer beam. As well as being quicker to assemble (I will probably have this chassis on and off a fair bit), it leaves the maximum amount of hole in the floor so I can squeeze those cells in place.

No comments: