Friday, July 21, 2006

Proper tools


Bolt Head
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
When you are building high quality models, the mind automatically turns to thoughts of the toolkit commonly found in a jewellers workshop. Delicate little devices capable to assisting the finest of work.

Sometimes this kit isn’t enough though. For example I have always preferred a large file to a small one as it’s easier to file things flat as opposed to a series of small ridges. This was a trick suggested to me by a friend who had witnessed too many people messing around with needle files ‘cos that is what you are supposed to use. I now have three big files on the bench and the smallest is 8 inches long and half an inch wide. The needle files live in the packet most of the time.

Anyway, while fitting the chassis to the G2 I had to enlarge the holes in the spaces that take the bolts. This is a big loco so you use big bolts – simple really. Now the spacers are thick, solid brass and a needle files wouldn’t touch it. Neither would the tapered reamer.

So off to the garage to get the power drill. A Bosch rechargeable if you want to get anoraky about it. A few seconds work and I had a nice large hole in the spacer. Then I cleaned the edges with the countersink bit. Proper job.

Then the retaining nut wouldn’t fit under the footplate so there was the unedifying site of the loco being attacked with the drill as well. I’m sure this isn’t what those photos of proper “craftsmen” show.

It worked a treat though. Perhaps I should keep it within reach at all times. I wonder if a hammer drill would be useful too ?

No comments: