Sunday, July 23, 2006

Flare Jigsaw


Flare Jigsaw
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
The tender flare for the G2 has been the cause of worry for me. I have two options: a set of whitemetal parts or a brass etched version.

The brass version looked promising except that the contact area between the top of the body and the brass flare would be tiny. This would make it weak. I’d also have to figure out how to do the rear corners.

This still looked better than the whitemetal version. I’ve looked at these parts for weeks and have struggled to work out how they work. The instructions are silent on the point, not mentioning the flare at all.

Of course my Dad picks the parts up and immediately sees what needs to happen. If you look at the photo it’s obvious – but I hadn’t spotted it for some reason. It cleverly includes the tender top – I’d been wondering why this wasn’t on the etch !

OK, the resulting part is too wide, but that was easy to fix but cutting and shutting. Low melt solder (still applied with a big iron) is a good filler and after some filing and sanding the result looks pretty good.

No comments: