Friday, June 02, 2006

Back together again


Blue Pullman
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
In the back of my kit cupboard there was a model that didn’t belong to me. OK, strictly speaking it did because I saved it from a skip when the owner didn’t want it but I didn’t build it.

The model was a Blue Pullman made out of balsa wood. It was the last remnant of a model of Paddington Station also made from balsa. A gentleman who had long since died created this incredible piece of work. It was donated to the railway club by his widow and appeared at the earliest show I remember the club holding. There was also a model of Banbury locomotive shed. While incredible work had gone into all of these, the scale was odd. Roughly 4mm:1ft, everything was compressed and slightly cartoon like. Put together the effect was convincing.

Paddington had long since been disposed of. It was huge (about 5ft by 3ft as I remember), fragile and not suited to being stored in a damp cellar with limited storage. I always liked the Pullman so I saved it, housing it in the back of the aforementioned cupboard.

A couple of weeks ago, the builders son got in touch via the club website. He was hoping to be re-united with the model. I had to break it to him that it was long gone, but I had a train. A few calls and Banbury loco shed was located as well.

Last night we brought everyone together with the models. A couple of photo albums were produced showing other model created by the same artist (it was artistry) including some superb cars. At the end of a pleasant evening, the son went away with the Pullman and is keeping in touch with the loco shed owner. I’m sorry to see it go as it was a nice model but if I were in that position I would be looking to acquire anything my Dad had created. I’m just glad the train has found a good home.

And I have some space in the cupboard for more kits…

No comments: