Wednesday, April 19, 2006

At last, whitemetal !


Boat Hook
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Finally, after many weeks of chopping plasticard, I get to use some of the whitemetal parts !

The box of these has been lurking in the main box. They look pretty good and there are lots of them.

From my locomotive building experience, once I start sticking whitemetal onto a model, it’s getting close to being finished.

Of course I’ve still got a long way to go but the tow hook assembly cried out for the business end being built in. Casting quality was pretty good. I cleaned off a mild mould line to make things perfect – not something that will show when it’s on the water but modellers do this sort of thing. Since the bolt and nut casting were roughly 8BA I was able to break out the tap & die to make it work. Perhaps they should be replaced with brass items but I think they will be OK.

Apparently you can tow with the hook as supplied. The reviews I have read in magazines show the unit attached to the saloon but I fancy sticking it to the deck. With a bit of bracing this should be pretty firm and won’t flex under pressure.

No comments: